The SHE (Strong Healthy Empowered) Pre-Teen Program focuses on improving the mental, social, emotional and physical health of girls in grades 5th-8th through discussion, education and skill-building. The girls are able to build self-esteem and create lasting friendships prior to entering high school. All programs are led by positive, adult female Y-facilitators, who provide an open and judgement free atmosphere for topic exploration. Additionally, some weeks are led by community professionals who are experts in that week’s topic.
Biweekly Topics May Include: Welcome Gathering & Getting to Know One Another, Healthy Friendships, Self-Defense, Giving Back, Yoga, Coping With Stress, Healthy Eating & Nutrition, Mental Health & Self-Care, Body Image & Confidence, Positive Free Time, The Babysitting Certification Course, Substance Abuse, Money and Time Management and Day at the Y.
Each program site will meet every 2-3 weeks from 6:00-8:00 PM from October-April, for a total of 14 sessions. Program sites and meeting days include:
- Kewaskum (@ Kewaskum Middle School): Mondays
- West Bend A (@ West Washington YMCA): Tuesdays
- West Bend B (@ West Washington YMCA): Tuesdays
- Slinger (@ Slinger Middle School): Wednesdays
- Hartford (@ Central Middle School): Thursdays
- Mequon (@ Lumen Christi Parish): Tuesdays
- Grafton (@ John Long Middle School): Wednesdays
- Port Washington (@ Thomas Jefferson Middle School): Thursdays
*Exact schedules to be emailed with registration.
This program is cost-free for participants and open to both members and non-members of the Kettle Moraine YMCA!
*You do not have to be a resident of any SHE Program school district in order to join! All programs are open to girls in grades 5th-8th (public, private, or home-schooled).